Saturday, December 13, 2008

Dip. Dip. There's a party on the hill, would you like to come?

So I was just complaining to myself about how I've run out of stuff to write about, and Crystal has come along and solved my problem/made my life more difficult by tagging me to write about my unspectacular quirks.

The Rules:
1. Link the person who tagged you.
2. Mention the rules on your blog.
3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours.
4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them.
5. Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger's blogs letting them know they've been tagged.

I feel like there should be another rule since everything about this is done in sixes. I'm almost compelled to make one up.

o1. I eat fruit with salt.
You probably won't find me adding salt to my dinner at the table, however I do eat it with fruit. Weird, no? I get a lot of looks when I ask for salt just as the random free fruit platter comes out at the restaurant. I used to think it was an asian thing, since they're quite into their sweet/savoury pairings, but even they give me strange looks, so really I think I just picked it up from my mum. Its not all fruit. Salt with any berry is weird, bananas are out of the question, but apples, oranges, jackfruit etc its all fair game. And its a must with watermelon, seriously. Don't diss it, you have to let it settle/soak in for a second, but then it makes everything taste sweeter. I swear! I don't feel like I've ever converted anyone on this.

o2. I leave home unnecessarily early for uni.
I'm talking like, an hour and a half unnecessarily early. Just so I have alot of time to sit down for coffee, read my horoscope, whine and pretend to study. Ironically, despite getting to the CBD at least an hour before class starts, I'm usually late for said class(es) because I get distracted trying to con someone into giving me chocolate or marshmallows, instead of decorating cupcakes with them. Or am too busy complaining about how much I hate Johnathan Cainer. Either way, it takes me about 30 minutes of saying "I really should leave now/should probably have left 10 minutes ago/my class starts in 5 minutes I should go/I think I'm already late for class" before I'm actually on a tram.

o3. I'm fairly anti-aircon.
Its just really artificially cold and makes me feel abit sick. My relatives here are really confused by this. They're all like, "But you come from a cold country! How do you stand the cold there?" Winter cold is a completely different type of cold. My uni likes to make my life more difficult by being overly enthusiastic with the heating/cooling systems. Its like they like to waste money. If its anywhere in the vicinity of 'warm' they'll blast the aircon, howevs if its 'cool' they'll turn the heater up so high you can barely breathe. As a result I wear alot of layers, carry a jacket all the time, and wear scarves that double as shawls/blankets. Also, the thing to change the temperature settings resides on the roof. Makes sense, no? As a result, I don't think just anyone is qualified to change it. They probably need to hire some guy to do it. But don't, which is why its constantly ridiculous.

o4. I'm really picky about stationary.
Last year I rediscovered my love for Bic Classic finepoint pens. I sort of maybe refuse to use anything else. I buy these by the box. Before that I liked these pharmaceutical company pens - you know the ones that drug reps give to doctors etc? So, I might be drowning in them at work, but um..., I like these ones made by this Vietnamese drug company. Way to like things that aren't difficult to obtain, at all. Also, I can't study without highlighters. To be even more annoying I have this colour coordination thing going on. Purple is a really bad highlighter colour since its too dark - so I use it like a texta for big umbrella headings. Pink for headings, Orange for subheadings, Yellow for in text highlighting, Green for examples, Blue for definitions, Purple again for equations. So that was to much information, but now you know. I feel like no one understands me on this - but at least my notes look pretty.

o5. 80% of the time I have block of Lindt chocolate stashed in my bag.
Its always some variety of dark chocolate, and we all know that has antioxidants so it CAN'T be bad for me right? At some point i probably went through 3 blocks a week. That's weekdays. Despite this chocolate obsession, I weirdly never eat chocolate at home, I think it has something to do with the fact that I didn't like chocolate as a kid. Boy am I making up for it now. So on the holidays the chocolate goes untouched. My waist seems to feel indifferently about this. Mint is my favourite. I like the chilli chocolate as well. The new pear flavour confused me completely. And I usually don't like orange chocolate but Green and Black's Maya Gold chocolate is pretty amazing. That's what's in my bag the other 20% of the time. I still hate Lindt cherry chocolate, no matter what you say.

o6. I don't wear pants.
Actually, a pushy sales assistant forced me to try on some pants that matched the jacket i tried on the other day. But besides that, it's been awhile. I don't really know why. It was an unconscious decision. I think I discovered stockings and learnt that my legs weren't colder. Sort of like when you realise getting your ears pierced doesn't hurt that much, so then you want more. Obviously I couldn't think of anything else to write about.

Um, so pretty sure I don't actually know 6 bloggers that haven't already been tagged for this. So I'm only going to tag 3. Plus, Crystal did it too, so there! I'm tagging: my beautiful year 12 buddy Vi, my lover - that girl, & last but not least, haivee.

3 comments:

_V said...

1) Yes it's an asian thing! I've never seen non-asians do it. My family does it. Oh and green mangoes. mmm

2) you do have funny quirks. I think that nothing gets done if there was no last minute, so everything is last minute for me. More sleep DUH!

3) they blast aircons in big corporate buildings so their employees can't sleep on the job. someone told me that, but don't take my word for it.

4) I'M REALLY ANAL ABOUT STATIONARY. i'm glad it's a trait we bonded over, and you've never lost. =)

5) I like your chocolate obsession. It's like your little drug of endorphins. wait, was that the correct chemical my ultimate year pharmacy friend?

6) that's really interesting. so you always wear skirts or dresses. i'm gonna look out for that, not that i see you enough to notice.

i won't steal any of yours. I like people with endearing quirks. they're so much more INTERESTING. much love from australia. V

That Girl said...

i have no quirks, chica, i am sooo normal :P

ps. i saw twilight yesterday. so. awful. i kept wanting to laugh out loud but we were in gold class with all these serious middle-ages mum-types and their partners and it was WEIRD (free tickets). i don't understand that twi-mom phenom where all those mothers are in love with edward and they stalk him and everything itssoscary!! even these women looked at me glary when i started talking to my sister during trailers! anyhow- film was funny as. facial expressions were so random! and it was SUCH a long film, it just NEVER ENDED!

marlene. said...

_V:
1. green mangos & nuoc mam. i've only really seen other asians do it with like, chilli salt.
2. if we're talking studying/assignments, then i'm completely with you.
3. that sound's like something they'd do.
4. you were always so organised, i envied you!
5. endorphins make you happy! happy people don't kill their husbands.
6. i've been wearing shorts here sometimes. is that breaking my own rules?

that girl:
your complete quirks-less-ness *cough* is why i love you/tagged you.
re: ps, i watched a really shoddy quality twilight on the plane over here. i DID laugh. ALOT. like *meaningful stare/smoulder* AHAHAHAHAHAHAH. my sister glared/yelled at me alot for it. the entire film was shot from like the same 2 angles.