Tuesday, December 9, 2008

o5 and o6

Yesterday we went to Vung Tau, to visit my aunt who lives there. She's the one that surprise visited us the other day. She's a nun and lives there with y'know, the other nuns. They run like a hotel, and use the money to teach the poor/orphaned kids and help the elderly there who have no one to look after them. They're also completely adorable.

We had lunch there, and then we hung out at the beach (i think most people slept), and everyone was too lazy to go exploring. Losers.


The nuns also make candied fruit etc to sell. They have alot of fruit trees, which they used to use, but um, there was a massive storm/hurricaine in 2007, and the trees have never fully recovered. Anyway, they were so cute! I think its rude to call them 'cute' but they so were! They kept feeding me the candied fruit, like "They don't have this over there, does she know how to eat it? Try it!" and then when i could they kept GIVING me all this stuff to take home. I felt like i was robbing them. They also showed me all the stuff they were doing, one brought out all these little bags she was making for the kids for chirstmas/new years. Like these bags were made out of material scraps, like no bigger than a few ribbons that she joins together to make the bags. She was like its such a waste to throw away the materials, so i make things for the kids. Do you like them? You can have one, go on choose.

this is the place next door, that hasn't yet been fixed up, obvs.

Also, I saw approx 2 turned-over trucks on the way there. It was only a 3 hour drive, and I was asleep for probs an hour or so.

---

Today I bought alot of stuff. I'm trying to buy myself a hot corporate wardrobe for when i become hot and corporate - as in never, because pharmacists don't dress cool. I really should've thought that career choice through a bit more. The pharmacist jacket doesn't sit very well. I wonder if I could get one tailored? yeah? No seriously, I bought about 8 shirts (they were cheap! like $8.50) and a jacket for like $15, and a dress for the same amount. That's like, a lot of stuff. In my defence, I'm sharing all of the shirts except 1 with my mum. I still haven't bought shoes. Am working on it.
Then we went to Saigon again to shop, etc. My sister got some clothes. I got confused by Christmas, again; and by how anyone here can afford anything.


Other places we were touristy:
- Gloria Jeans
- Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Gucci (again); anyone notice a theme here? But more importantly, look at cinderella and prince whatever! charming? I'm trying to curtsy, like a disney princess, but i have no skirt. Also, the doorman was dressed like prince charming!
- Saigon Centre
- Diamond Plaza

Mosquito Bites: 11, i think.


Also, of importance. We crossed the road by ourselves today (my mum and I)! For some reason I think she was more scared than I was. I don't know why. And so I present to you,

Marlene's Guide to Crossing the Road in Vietnam:
Since road rules and lanes appear to be of no significance here, you should probably be scared. But fear is healthy. If its your first time, do it with someone from Vietnam. Hold their hand, close your eyes and shuffle slowly across. I'm not joking.

If you're going this alone, its probably best that you open your eyes, howevs, it will be scary looking. No one here believes in giving way. Pedestrian crossings mean nothing here, ps. Don't mistakenly step onto one expecting cars to stop for you, they won't. You'll die. Same goes for the green man, He exists now! I was so shocked when i saw one i had to take a photo.

So crossing the road is easy! You just have to kinda like feeling slightly suicidal. What you do is, even if there are cars/motorcycles/bikes (and trust me on this, or you'll be waiting forever) step out onto the road. Its perfectly normal to wince/be a bit jumpy. And basically you walk slowly across, waiting for the traffic to swerve to avoid you. This isn't too dangerous, since they drive a speedy 15-25km/h around here. Some people are bastards though, and don't avoid you. I suggest you glare at them alot. As I said though, road rules mean nothing, so look both ways, even if you're on a one way street.

3 comments:

haivee said...

why is it that everyone is somehow related to a nun that lives somewhere or other lol.

DH said...

I like your guide, I feel like I'm there.

I stayed in a place run by nuns once, in Hong Kong. I had a curfew and wasn't allowed to smoke. I was dreading it, but after a few days I found it to be strangely pleasant.

But what I really wanted to say was... TAG!

marlene. said...

haivee: haha, i have no idea.

crystal: my mum stayed in one of those places when she first came to australia, she had a curfew too. they had porridge for breakfast. also, it seems like we're going to Hong Kong at some point in this trip, i think mostly because my sister wants to shop. i already feel like its going to overwhelm me.

also, i hate you. you better feel remorse. ;)